311-ALERT email
get involved

Building, Zoning & Codes

Doc app

Document Center

The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.

Categories always sorted by seq (sub-categories sorted within each category)
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category

Building Permits1 document

  • Building Permit Application
    document seq 0.00
    Structural, Electric, Plumbing, Mechanical, Roofing, etc.

Burn Permits1 document

  • Schwenksville Borough Burn Permit Application
    document seq 0.00
    Required for all open burning in the Borough

Property Sales Permits5 documents

  • Application for Real Estate Sales Permit
    document seq 0.00
    To be submitted when selling or transferring any real estate in the Borough.
  • Application for Additional Inspection
    document seq 2.00
    To be submitted if additional inspection is required due to failure of previous inspection
  • Temporary Access or Occupancy Permit Application
    document seq 3.50
  • Borough Authority - Sewer Lateral Inspection Form
    document seq 4.00
    Please submit this to the Authority at 298 Main Street
  • Borough Authority -Private Sewer Lateral Repair Report
    document seq 5.00
    Borough Ordinance - Required by Schwenksville Borough Ordinance

Business & Rental Property Forms4 documents

  • Application for Additional Use & Occupancy Inspection
    document seq 0.00
  • Residential Rental Registration Form
    document seq 0.00
    Rental Registration Form completed annually by Landlords
  • Application for Residential Rental Use & Occupancy Permit
    document seq 0.00
    To be submitted upon change of residential tenants
  • Application for Business Use & Occupancy Permit
    document seq 0.00
    To be submitted upon change of commerical tenants

Construction & Road Opening Permits7 documents

  • Application for Road Opening Permit
    document seq 0.00
    To be submitted for any projects within any road Right-Of-Way or Borough easement
  • Stormwater Management Application
    document seq 1.50
    For all DEP Regulated Activities - All Earth moving, Construction, Paving Activities must Apply
  • Workers Compensation Insurance Coverage Information/Exemption Form
    document seq 2.00
  • Sidewalk Restoration Detail
    document seq 5.50
    Specifications for Sidwalk Construction
  • Application for Escrow
    document seq 6.50
  • Road Restoration Detail
    document seq 7.00
    Design Specifications for Road Restoration
  • Notice of Proposed Improvements
    document seq 7.50

Zoning Permits/Appeals6 documents

  • Application for Zoning Permit
    document seq 0.00
    Note:  If UCC work is being completed, zoning review will be done as part of that application.  This permit is only for zoning only projects.
  • Current Zoning Map
    document seq 0.50
  • Sample Site/Plot Plan for Zoning Permit
    document seq 3.55
  • Conditional Use Application
    document seq 7.00
    Application before Council for Conditional Use
  • Zoning Hearing Board Application
    document seq 8.00
    Application for Zoning Appeal
  • Solicitors/Peddler's Permit Application
    document seq 9.00
    Zoning - For anyone doing door to door sales in the Borough

Land Development Applications4 documents

  • Subdivision & Land Development Application
    document seq 0.00
    SALDO Ordinance Compliance - For Subdivision or Non-residential  Development of Land or Re-Development
  • Contract for Professional Services Agreement
    document seq 0.00
    Required for SALDO but can be Used for Establishment of any kind of Escrow
  • Application for Escrow
    document seq 0.00
  • Montgomery County Municipal Request For Review
    document seq 0.00
    ACT 247 Review - All SALDO Applications

When planning a project, it is a good idea to contact the Borough and inquire as to whether or not you need a permit and how the process works.  Any property owner who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system must first apply to the Borough for the necessary permits.

BUILDING PERMITS are required for:

  • New home construction
  • Roofing
  • Deck or Porch
  • Swimming Pools
  • Interior or exterior structural alterations to an existing building 
  • Accessory Buildings of 250 sf or greater
  • Interior renovations 
  • Mechanical:  HVAC, Fireplace, wood stove, or gas fireplace installations
  • Electric 
  • Plumbing

BUILDING PERMITS are not required for:

  • Exterior replacement windows, doors and siding which are materials in kind.
  • Fences

ZONING PERMITS are required for:

  • All building permits excluding only mechanical, only electric and only plumbing
  • Demolition of a structure 
  • Signs
  • Pools
  • Paver patios
  • Fences
  • Sheds of all sizes
  • Home Occupations
  • Accessory Family Apartments
  • Change in Use or an added use
  • Commercial Change in Tenant
  • Communications Facilities

Any regulated activity, site construction or grading activity requires a Stormwater Management Permit Application for review.  Any construction or regulated activity cumulative since 2014 of 2500 square feet or more is subject to Stormwater regulations and requires a Stormwater Management Plan Review. 

All Zoning applications must be accompanied by a site layout plan drawn to scale showing location of all road frontages, existing  buildings, sidewalks, driveways in addition to the proposed construction with setback measurements.  Engineered plans may be required.

All Building applications must be accompanied by plans showing work being done and including specified materials.  Sealed plans may be required.  After zoning approval, your building plans are reviewed by a Third Party certified building inspector knowledgeable in required codes. When your permit is issued, you will be provided with a checklist of all required inspections, which may be scheduled by calling the Third Party Provider.  You will receive directions for contacting the Third Party Provider after the application is determined to be administratively complete. 

It is essential to obtain all required permits. Any work performed without the necessary permits will be subject to double permit fees or a failed re-sale use and occupancy certificate. 

Every permit issued becomes void if work is not in progress within 180 days after issuance or if work is not completed within one year. Permit extensions are available upon written request. 

Contact Information for All Permitting Inquiries

Permitting Department

Dan DeMeno- Zoning Officer/BCO
300 Main Street
Schwenksville, PA 19473
Phone: (610) 287-7442

The Borough utilizes Barry Isett & Associates as its Building Code Official and Third Party Code Enforcement Provider. 

ALL PERMIT APPLICATIONS ARE SUBMITTED THROUGH SCHWENKSVILLE BOROUGH AND ALL PAYMENTS ARE PAYABLE TO SCHWENKSVILLE BOROUGH.  Proof of Workers Compensation Insurance is required with an application or an exemption form must be completed and submitted.   Applications are available from the drop down menu above.   Please review the Fee Schedule.  Payments are due prior to issuance. 

34 Pa. Code § 403.121

The board of appeals shall hear and rule on appeals, requests for variances and requests for extensions of time. An application for appeal shall be based on a claim that the true intent of the act or Uniform Construction Code has been incorrectly interpreted, the provisions of the act or Uniform Construction Code do not fully apply or an equivalent form of construction is to be used.   Schwenksville Borough is a member of a regional UCC Board of Appeals.   Applications are filed with Schwenksville Borough. 

Property Maintenance Complaint?
Schwenksville Borough's Property Maintenance Program is primarily complaint driven.  Violations are also detected by drive through by Borough representatives.  To initiate a Property Maintenance complaint, please submit a Reporting a Concern Form. 

Selling or Buying a Home?

Residential Property Transfer Permits are required.  Code violations determined by the Schwenksville Borough Code Official will need to be corrected before Schwenksville Borough will issue a Use & Occupancy Permit for a new owner.  Transfer Only Permits can be requested for unique circumstances and are considered on a case by case basis.   If the property fails the first inspection, an additional inspection may be required. 

Landlords—Register Your Tenants

Landlords are required to register tenants with the Borough annually and notify the Borough when there is a change in occupancy.  Rental Units also must be inspected PRIOR TO OCCUPANCY.   Please remember to complete a Rental Unit Use and Occupancy Permit Application.